Friday, April 21, 2017

Teaching and Learning Lessons from Turnitin

Guest Blogger: Bill Donohue

Here we are in Spring, and as we all await those final student products that demonstrate student learning from another successful semester, I know what you are thinking: “I wonder how Donohue’s use of Turnitin that he blogged about in January went this semester.” Fear not; I am here to give you an update!
Throughout the semester, students were required to submit select writing assignments using the Turnitin feature on Moodle. These assignments were ones that I have seen plagiarism in the past from essay mills or Sparknotes.
Overall, I saw five instances of plagiarism, two of which came from the same student. These are interesting cases to discuss as they shed light on both teaching and learning at Lincoln.
In ENG 101, students had to write an essay about Langston Hughes based on a close reading of his poetry and essays. Two students submitting essays to Turnitin had high similarity scores that proved to be opportunities for formative teaching and learning.
Both essays had sentences copied and pasted from internet sources. One student had minimal use of plagiarized sentences, and I addressed the issue through feedback about proper citation on the assignment through Turnitin’s feedback studio. The other had a very high rate copied sentences. I addition to feedback on the essay, I followed up with the student during a writing workshop. An underlying issue for the student was not understanding the writing assignment and the critical thinking concepts we had been discussing and practicing building toward the essay assignment. In a desperate attempt to submit something, the student wrote a biography of Langston Hughes, mainly by copying from internet sources. Not only was this teachable moment about plagiarism, but also a formative learning opportunity regarding the more difficult concept of close reading and critical thinking. The student revised the essay and was able to engage in the independent thinking and writing exercise intended by the assignment (without plagiarism).
In ENG 099, there were three instances of plagiarism for assignments related to the reading of the novel A Lesson Before Dying. Two of the plagiarized submissions were by the same student. My concerns are broader than difficulty with course content as seen in ENG 101.
All three plagiarized papers were emailed to me as opposed to submitted to Turnitin, as required. Part of the reason for need to email the assignments was that the assignments were completed after the due date. Turnitin will not accept submission past the due date. (The regular Moodle assignment submission function allows for a due date and a grace period. Good to know if using one or both tools during a course). I uploaded these emailed assignments to Turnitin for analysis and feedback. However, the emailing of the plagiarized assignments may be an attempt at subterfuge by avoiding the plagiarism checker altogether.
One student had a similarity score in the green at 23%, but the plagiarism detected was enough to fail the student. Although the assignment required analysis, a more difficult task than writing a summary, this is a student who usually does not have problems thinking independently and is quite vocal in class. One reason for the plagiarism might be the desperation to submit a late assignment. However, the student came to class high last week (smelled like marijuana; glassy, bloodshot eyes; delayed responses; evasive). My fear is that the student is heading down a road that will adversely affect academic performance.
The other student emailed both a chapter summary assignment and a character analysis assignment after the due date. Both were heavily plagiarized. The student has been consistently inconsistent all semester. When she is on, she does quite well. But other times, she misses class or does shoddy work, if she has completed the work at all. Other than online feedback, I have not had a chance to talk to the student directly, mostly because she has missed class. In an email exchange on a different topic, she did indicate how “swamped” she is with work, especially in trying to complete overdue work with work that is due next week. Is this another case of plagiarism due to desperation? Does she not know how to properly complete the assignments? Is she struggling with course content? Is she failing at organizing and prioritizing her work? How is she spending her time outside of class? Is she going to make it? What can I do for this student?
Such are the questions that keep me up at night.
One change that I made for a final writing portfolio assignment in ENG 099 was to engage higher level thinking skills. The straightforward character analysis that was plagiarized by two students has been altered to an assignment where students are placed in a position of running for sheriff in the fictional Louisiana town where A Lesson Before Dying is set.  The students need to have an understanding of the character responsible for much of the systemic racism in the town in order to create an argument as to why they should be sheriff instead. The critical thinking started right away in our class discussion of the assignment when one student asked about the time frame. Should they write in the 1940s setting of Bayonne, Louisiana, or current day? We settled on 1940s Louisiana, but without voting restrictions based on race or gender. 
I look forward to reading those assignments and all the final portfolios due next week from another semester of teaching and learning. 
What was your experience with student writing and/or the use of Turnitin in your classes this semester?

6 comments:

  1. Bill, thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I do not use Turnitin; so I have no Turnitin experience to report. Good luck!

    Safro Kwame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kwame, Do you ever see plagiarism? Or what do you do for students who are going off the rails where plagiarism might be a symptom of a larger issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do see plagiarism, even though I try to make my assignments difficult to plagiarize by relating them specifically to what we do in class. When I suspect plagiarism, I run the electronic copy of the student project or essay through several of the free plagiarism detectors available on the internet or Google some of the peculiar words. If it is confirmed as plagiarized, I just fail the student for that particular assignment or project and hope that it becomes or provides a life-long lesson for the student.

      Safro Kwame

      Delete
  3. Bill, thank you so much for reporting back about your Turnitin experiences. Will we get the final update at the Teaching and Learning Showcase in two weeks?
    I started using Turnitin when I first learned that Lincoln subscribed to it a few years back. I always get a few "evaders" that claim that they cannot upload in Turnitin, so I do what you described and upload their assignment. Very often I find these assignments to be plagiarized - but not always. Every semester I am surprised that I get any plagiarized assignments at all in my 200 -level and higher classes. It seems that 90% of the students have a very clear sense of what constitutes plagiarism while the rest either have no idea or claim that they have no idea that they have been plagiarizing for years. Sometimes the plagiarized papers are copied from a single source without a reference, but more often, they are carefully patched together from multiple sources with references. For latter example, the student author always seems completely comprised when I tell them their work is plagiarized - and I think they are honestly surprised. My question: how can 90% of upper class-men have such a clear picture of what constitutes plagiarism, while the rest are clueless?
    Last question: what do you do with the students that keep you up at night? I feel like those are the students that need as the most. Maybe they don't need us as teachers, but as parents, role models or mentors. The bottom line is that they need us. I have been at Lincoln for 12 years, and I still have not figured out how to catch the students that slip between the cracks, they ones that come to class high or have constant family emergencies. Plagiarism seems like a drop in an ocean for these students - it is probably one of the least of their problems. So what is a college professor to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I do not know whether this, below, is a rhetorical question; in which case, you do not need an answer.

      "I have been at Lincoln for 12 years, and I still have not figured out how to catch the students that slip between the cracks, they ones that come to class high or have constant family emergencies. Plagiarism seems like a drop in an ocean for these students - it is probably one of the least of their problems. So what is a college professor to do?"

      Here is my answer, in case it is not a rhetorical question: "It takes a village, to raise a child!"

      Safro Kwame

      Delete
    2. As far as the students who keep me up at night, I look for opportunities to minimize how many there are in any given semester. While I am not sure if I have reached the inconsistent student despite a few attempts, I know that I have had more success with others this semester. I facetimed with one student over the weekend to answer her questions and help her organize the assignments she has to complete. I gave her the possibility of an extension to ease her mind a bit and possibly curtail the temptation to plagiarize. The actions taken seem appropriate to meet the outcome of improving student writing.

      Another student, who has not plagiarized but has had issues submitting work on time, came to me just after midterm and explained some serious personal issues. We first talked about those issues and discussed options to resolve those issues. We then worked out a schedule for making up work. I also emailed his advisor to let her know he could use support. I am not sure if what I did is what Nancy Kenner would refer to as "intrusive advising" (if I remember the phrase correctly), but I thought of it as a proactive move to assist the student. Later in the semester I found out that the advisor used my call for support to arrangement a makeup exam in another course for this student. I don't know what the result will be of any of these actions, but I hope they will be added to the rest of the actions by our our village and make a difference for our students.

      One of the reasons I like assessment is the feedback ascertained. Informally, I have had senior students who I taught in first year composition come up to me to shake my hand and thank me for what I taught them. That feels really good.

      Formally, I am doing assessment research by talking to students. The qualitative approach to assessment provides a face and life to the learning that quantitative numbers can not do.

      If and when I go back to sleep, it is because I have managed to ease my mind that the number of students I have assisted far outweighs the number who have slipped through the cracks.

      Usually as soon as I fall back asleep, the baby cries and I have to go change a diaper...

      Delete