Saturday, January 7, 2017

Name Your Resolution

I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions. Maybe that is just because I have never been very good at keeping them, or maybe it is because I think we are capable of change at any time of the year. In that vein, I’m a big fan of “Beginning of the Semester Resolutions”; at the beginning of most semesters, I have resolved to try something new in one or more of my classes. Sometimes it’s been big undertakings like flipping the classroom for all my classes or revising the entire content of a course. But more often, I try to incorporate one new pedagogy or strategy into my teaching. Last semester, I used the “Jigsaw Puzzle” approach to active learning when I introduced the syllabus on the first day of class. I don’t know about you, but I usually dread going over the syllabus as it can be one of the most boring parts of the entire semester – and why start on such a mind-numbing note instead of setting the tone that your class is all about active learning and sharing information and skills? Basically, after distributing the syllabus, I divided the class into five or six groups and assigned one part of the syllabus to each group. The groups were asked to summarize their part of the syllabus, select one or two of the most important pieces of information in that part, and come up with one question. Each group then reported back to the class. It was a hit; nobody was distracted by their phones, everybody participated, the students had to talk to each other and get up in front of the class, where they also had the chance to introduce themselves. Best of all, I didn’t have to listen to myself drone on while watching the students nod off in their seats. I’m doing it again this semester.

This break I have been thinking about names. I agree with Nichole Igwe in her blog post titled “Getting Names Right; It’s Personal” (http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/teaching-and-learning/getting-names-right-personal/) where she talks about all the reasons why the classroom and college experience is enhanced if faculty members take the time to learn their students’ names. It can be a struggle, but I make it a point to learn all my students’ names and with some effort I usually have it down by the second or third week of class. I definitely learn better if there is an action associate with the learning – like the simple act of handing back student papers with their names on it. As I take roll the first few times, the whole class seems to have fun as I try to pronounce names whose phonetics I would never have guessed from the spelling. Some students don’t believe that I will ever remember their names, or stop confusing their's with their best friend's. Often, I keep messing up, but students seem to forgive me and appreciate the effort. But here is where I struggle: I am horrible at remembering last names. My brain only seems to have capacity for 50+ new first names each semester. The last names remain a blur and I’m ever so grateful that the association between first and last names are held by my class roster and not my brain. My lack of capacity for last names may stem from my upbringing in a country where everybody, teachers, friend’s parents, doctors, and professors where always addressed by first name. Sweden formally decided to eliminate class differences by agreeing to call everybody by their first name long before I was born. But I have lived and worked in this country for more than 20 years! Maybe it is time that I let go of excuses and start using both first and last names. Or maybe only the last name? I am curious to learn what other faculty members at Lincoln do: Do you learn your students’ names? Whether you memorize names or not, do you call students by their first or last name? Or maybe both?


For now, I think my “Beginning of the Semester Resolution” will be to try to learn the students' first and last names and ask them what they prefer to be called. How about you? Do you have a resolution for the fresh start?

8 comments:

  1. My New Year's resolution is to start conversations in the classroom about the ways in which students can become more engaged and empowered as citizens in a participatory and plural democracy. In our classrooms, we strive to give our students the tools to be productive, confident, and critically aware of how the cultural, socioeconomic, political, ideological, and academic systems factor in the reproduction of dominant discourses and the dominant forms of language and knowledge... But do we?? We strive, in theoretical terms and possibly in pedagogy, to create a space in which students think seriously about…’the open space of democracy,’ a space in which there is ‘room for dissent’ and ‘room for differences,’ a space where ‘cooperation is valued more than competition’” and where personal growth is eloquently illustrated (Williams 8). In that writing/thinking space, we attempt to co-create, change, and nurture learning communities of practice in which working-class and minority students do not feel alienated from their dialects and discourses and in which we can challenge the dominant narrative “that their home communities are inferior groups of people from whom they should separate themselves as quickly as possible if they want to embrace the American Dream” (Parks 87). We strive for that… but in what ways can we critically accomplish that? It is time to start conversations about how we can use critical pedagogy in the classroom in more meaningful ways to modify the way and what we teach and why we do what we do.
    -Samaa Gamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samaa for sharing your resolution! I suspect that you are not the only faculty member at Lincoln who have resolved to use pedagogy to empower our students to examine their civic engagement. Wouldn’t it be great if we as faculty could work together and in conjunction with student affairs and student life and development to create an active Civic Engagement center on campus? Is anybody else interested in starting a dialogue about this type of effort?

      Delete
  2. I agree that going over the syllabus can be a boring and mostly useless experience, and I like your approach. I have gone in a different direction in recent years. I minimize how much of the syllabus I go over; I find the students are mostly interested in how grades are determined and little interested in everything else on the syllabus. So I cover the grading in detail and mostly ignore the assessment information (as this does not impact them directly), university policies which are on every syllabus (although I do go over the electronic devices policy because it is a relatively new policy and a perennial issue) and the general information about my office location, phone extension, etc. But after my minimalist treatment of the syllabus, I do some sort of exercise that requires active participation of the students, usually a worksheet that asks some questions about the course topic. I let the students work in groups and then I invite the groups to share their answers. It does accomplish some of the same things that Anna's "Jigsaw Puzzle" exercise with the syllabus does, and I get some useful info about the students' perceptions regarding the course material. As an example, I am teaching invertebrate zoology this semester so I plan to ask the students what is an invertebrate, how do invertebrates interact with humans, how do they directly or indirectly benefit or harm us. I hope that it will produce some interesting discussion.

    As for names, it is something with which I struggle. As much as I want to blame it on my age, I have been terrible with names all my life. In my classes, I find that after two or three classes, the students tend to sit in the same seats so I create a seating chart. I use the seating chart to familiarize myself with names and faces when students are working on in-class assignments, and I am usually okay with names by the fourth week of the semester. The bottom line is that our students appreciate being recognized and called by name whether it is in the classroom or when we run into them in the hall or somewhere else on campus, and it is important that we work to learn their names. Dave Royer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are more great resources for new semester resolutions leading to a more positive classroom experience for everybody: http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-classroom-management/towards-positive-u/?utm_campaign=Faculty+Focus&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=40277432&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_E0B6aRfcEFvavgleiy0j0tl8PMz4fzE05KGr5tBh28ExsIROGmx_Faa0LvydSyqnxX4ocE6cnMaw630p073mWUcP8rg&_hsmi=40277432

    ReplyDelete
  4. A happy new year to everyone! My new year’s resolution is to figure out how to stop gaining weight! My beginning of the semester resolution is to get a teaching assistant, even if only an invisible one!

    Safro Kwame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know when you figure both of these out! They both sound like tall orders. If you find a teaching assistant, visible or not, what would s/he help you with?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I think if I stopped eating, I would lose weight but also lose my life; so maybe I should stop eating meat or fish and become a strict vegetarian, even though currently I eat mainly fish (and fruit and vegetables).

      Q: If you find a teaching assistant, visible or not, what would s/he help you with?
      A: Create and grade a workbook with exercises for each of my classes.

      Safro Kwame

      Delete